Sunday, July 29, 2007

Summer Movie

I always resist the urge to talk about my movie going experiences. Well, except "The movies I should have already seen, but that's different! There are about one jillion other blogs that do that and an equal amount that seamlessly mix their regular content with these "out of context" posts. While I resist, sometimes I just have to wax methodically about some movie. And that movie is...

TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Yes, that's me as a cartoony Optimus Prime. No, I didn't make it. My lovely gf Amanda made it as she is too amazed by this movie. That is her as Bumblebee. We are about to destroy Wal-Mart because it is the closest thing one can get to Unicron.

I must admit that I was never really a part of the Transformers band wagon. Like a lot of those 80's cartoon shows*, I was just a baby when they were in their first run. I saw the original cartoons as re-runs and only saw fresh versions during the subsequent 1990's~2000's spin-offs. I watched the hell out of Transformers: Beast Wars as a a kid in the mid 90's. And I really wasn't into the toys either. I was much more of a GI Joe fanboy. I do remember having one Transformers action figure that I won at some carnival at my sister's high school. It turned into a fire truck, which for a little boy, epitomized awesome.

I even made fun of the live action movie when I first saw the teaser trailer last year. It looked so dumb, built purely on nostalgia for something that never really had a message except big bucks. But, as usual, I was wrong.

First, the movie was the most fun I have had at the movies in a long ass time. As a summer blockbuster it had to appeal to the lowest common denominator and show some broad appeal, but there was a real sense of wonder. As a Star Wars fanboy, I hear plenty about people having the same sense of wonder at the release of the original movie back in 1977. I am not comparing Transformers to Star Wars, but I know understand what the feeling was and is. Amanda and I have seen the damn thing three times. THREE TIMES! Now we look for Transformers everywhere. The weekend after we saw it the first time, we happened to find ourselves in Trumansburg, NY driving past the Grassroots Music Festival. And there we saw a Pontiac Solstice**. As soon as we saw it, we both said, "Hey, look! It's Jazz!"

Shia LaBeouf, who played the protagonist Sam Witwicky is my new hero. He is a beleivable loser teenager and, well, if you have ever read this blog, I relate to that. And while it had some of the usual Michael Bay holes (What the hell happened to Barricade!?), it was wonderfully slick. The movie had the full support of the military, which made sense because it made me want to sign up! Those guys had all the coolest military toys like dune buggies, gunships, and vertical take-off aircraft. No desk jockeys, defense contractors, or red tape here. Just ass kicking. I was half expecting Tyrese Gibson to scream out "FUCK YEAH" whenever an air strike happened. All the hardware made it seem like a Tom Clancy novel, just with none of the subterfuge and that pesky Jack Ryan. And no soldier dies. Except the Puerto Rican one, of course.

And thanks to all the slick advertising, now I want the damn 2009 Camaro featured in the movie. I understand the idea of the military-entertainmnet-industrial complex, but I am not made of stone, damn it!

Peace!


*If any show was 80's it had to be Transformers. An entire show and mythology based exclusively on toys. Big money, no whammy!

**I don;t know why a Pontiac Solstice happened to be at Grassroots. When I think hippie, zydeco music fests, I think sports cars.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...