Sunday, July 18, 2021

Rating Movies

As a tween I had a summer kick off ritual where I would write down all the summer blockbusters I wanted to see and then, as I saw them, noted how many stars I would rate them.

This was purely an internal document just for me that I kept pinned to my cork board.

Going to the movies as a tween was somewhat of a pain since I had no car and any friends with cars lived scattered across the metro area. And we had to check the times in a newspaper or call the theater. And even then no one seemed to have a newspaper subscription. I had to walk down the street to my titi's  house and get her copies of The San Juan Star. Then coordinate rhe rides to and from. See if we can catch everyone in front of the theater. Everyone had cell phones (lovely Nokia candy bar phones with interchangeable silicon skins) but this was when you had to time your calls. Don't call me until after 9pm and such.

This was the mid/late 90s and I specifically recall writing down things like Men in Black and Wild Wild West and Face/Off. No one ever noticed except my mom's long term boyfriend who would always ask what I would rate movies as, even into high school and early adulthood.


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...