Thursday, March 22, 2007

Eat it Joe Quesada!

SPIDER-RABBIT! SPIDER-RABBIT!

Does anything that a spider-rabbit can! And since such a thing really doesn't exist, that means that I can give it any powers I wish! OH YEAH! SPIDER-RABBIT FRIGGIN' YEAH!


Hops really high, shoots some webs, has carrot shaped shurikens, and his x-ray vision can even see through lead! Super-strength he has is spades and you better believe that he is litter trained! Breathes some fire and reactive evolution! OH YEAH! SPIDER-RABBIT FRIGGIN YEAH!

My comics budget remains pretty tight. It is good that I am keeping one of my new year's resolutions, at least. I try to stick to only six comics a month which at the usual $2.99 retail price means that I can get by on $20 dollars a month for comics. Most of the comics I buy are a core group I read every month no matter what: Daredevil, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, The New Avengers and The Immortal Iron Fist. With both Civil War and Ion all done with, I can find a new comic for the rotation slot! Hence, the Spider Rabbit post as I picked up Ultimate Spiderman #106.

There is no Ultimate Daredevil series. This fills me with a mixture of sadness and relief. Sadness because I would like to see young Matt Murdock going to NYU and beating on bad guys while still dressed in sweats. Relief because I would buy the damn thing like a sucker. They could kill Foggy Nelson ten times over and I would still come back for more!

Anyway, DD is limited to cameos in the Marvel Ultimate universe and in this Spidey issue he comes off as a premiere, and quite cocky, superhero. Spiderman's youth has always played a predominant role in any of his series. It makes sense for the adult attorney Matt Murdock/DD, to treat the kid as a hot shot rookie. However, I can now understand why people got so mad about Iron Man in Civil War.

In this issue, DD plans to get together a group of NYC heroes to kill the Kingpin of crime. Yes, kill. DD doesn't kill! He beats the crap out of people like no other, yes. He has frequent breakdowns that make him go into a sort of mini-berserker mode. But he doesn't kill! Well I guess Ultimate DD does. I think in the Ultimate universe you are either a silly little newbie or an edgy veteran. Don't get me wrong, Ultimate Spidey #106 is nice and so is the whole Ultimate Universe, but my limited exposure to it has convinced me of the aforementioned duality.

The arc is building up to something big and I will end it after this whole DD crossover is complete. Not much actual action here, but plenty of the "wiz bang" sheer delight factor I hear so much about this series. It is nice to have a handle on Spiderman without having to refer to 500 plus back issues.

I couldn't help but post about the final splash page. It's right out a sitcom. Peter Parker doesn't know how to break up with his ex-girlfriend Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat in the X-Men) and then she gets transferred to his school! HILARITY ENSUES! Or at least, that is what we hope for in the next issue.

Kitty Pryde is notable for a lot of reasons. Joss Whedon cites her as an influence for the character of Buffy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And my understanding was that she was uber-popular when she was first introduced in the X-Men. She's in Weezer's "In the Garage" song! She is also notable for being a Jewish superhero. It's nice to have some diversity and nice that Kitty is proud of her heritage, but look at that last page! Do you see the size of that Star of David pendant!?

Click on the picture to Goliath-size it!
It is Fuccillo sized HUGE!

Is her Jewish heritage really critical to the Ultimate Shadowcat character? I haven't played in the Ultimate sandbox too much, but some of the Ultimate X-Men I have fails to play off that quality.

Until then I remain amazed at the HUGENESS!

PEACE!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...