Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Wild Accusations

This past weekend, I got into a discussion about board games with some folks from Ithaca. The conversation turned to the Parker Brother's game Clue and I proclaimed, "Oh man. I used to love Clue. I would play the hell out of it, begging my parents and anyone interested in playing a round."

Whenever you walk by board games in the store, you will often see a small label on the box saying "Plan a Family Game Night!" This is definitely a neat idea and wholesome campaign, but Clue should not be one of those games. Who would believe that it was a board game (not those dreaded video games) that would ruin our children?

And this is not because clue is about a murder. Not at all. That aspect of the game "keeps its real!" If I was in a mansion with a bunch of other well to dos, I would not be moved to playing Dick Tracy because someone lost their antique silver jewelery box. Sucks to be you I guess. Now where are those apple puffs? But a murder?! Holy crap! The killer could still be here! And I can't leave the house because I already paid the baby sitter for a full evening's worth of care. Let's do it!

Here is where Clue fails because it teaches children to run around making false accusations. Why doesn't anyone ask, "Hey, shouldn't we leave the homicide investigations to the professionals? Like the police?"
Apparently not. Didn't you just hear that I paid the sitter for a full evening? She is never going to give me my money back. I am going to find that bastards because it sure beats sitting around and those apple puffs just ran out.

Play too much Clue and you become a teetotaler. But an amateur one. Instead of seeing the deed, you run around spouting off more theories than Mulder and Scully until one sticks. The playground beatings will be swift!

Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...