Monday, January 28, 2019

Taste in Music

Recently at work I told someone I would rather be blind than deaf and they were surprised. I mean seeing things is very helpful indeed but sound to me is much more evocative. And don't take me for some sort of audiophile. I have horrible tastes in music. And note in this hypothetical scenario it were as if I was struck down now with blindness. So I would have years of visual memories to draw from. But, yeah, I would stick with sound.

That's an intro that when I am feeling anxious or bluesy I want to turn to writing. And this week is LOADED with anxiety so these blogs are going to be coming. Where is my "Aww Lawd he comin" meme? And my awful taste in music, which I am going to share with you because 1) THIS WEEK and 2) No one reads this

In an earlier post I mentioned how life feels like a video game so musical scores and the themes played in bumpers and theme songs hit me hard. I get a lot more imagery and memory from those than a straight up 3-4-5 minute song. And that is all true except I also have a deep seated love for awful party girl pop.

I know she recorded this under horrible duress and that the image personified in it is far from her actual person but I may like Ke$ha's Animals a bit too much. Like in "Your Love is My Drug" there is a wicked line that goes "Does my love make your heat beat like an 808 drum" and yes, I try to wrap that up into casual conversation (See below) and, yes, I will make that motion where I loop my hands over each other, place them against my chest and motion them up and down. Mimicking a heart beat. I have no shame.



But I love that line. Mostly because I love all this electronic mish mosh, bing bong stuff, but it speaks to my soul...

Co-Worker: "Oh, hey I brought in some cake for the office. Its in the break room"
Me: "Oh, thank you. That makes my heart beat like an 808 drum."
Co-Worker: ????

Mechanic: "It looks like your caliper is gone and you are closing to blowing a rod and it going through your engine block. I can fix it but will be a week to get parts and I am thinking $3,200."
Me: "Oh...that does not make my heart beak like an 808 drum."
Mechanic: ???

I also have quite the love for Demi Lovato and Heart Attack which is extra ridiculous since it is a schmaltzy girl power song. Nothing wrong with that but I cannot empathize with "painting my nails and wear perfume" and "make him bounce like a basketball" But, damn do I love it because it sounds like something you listen while beating people up. At least the chorus. Its a song played before some hero just dunks on the bad guys. If the hero was a heroine...getting ready for a date.

I drive a nine year old purple Honda Fit with 2 lame tires but I will sometimes take a turn a bit too tight if I am listening to Rihanna's Shut up and Drive. Driving to work, juggling my phone and drinking coffee mouthing...

"Cause its 0 to 60 in 3.5/ Baby, you got the keys/ Now shut up and drive!"



And the allegory in this song is very heavy handed and it is not lost on me but I take it like the literal version. They had it Wreck it Ralph! Has to to be wholesome, right?



No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...