Wednesday, June 27, 2007

First Time

Off-topic post. Comic books for everyone! Regular posts to return soon.



To the left! To the left! All these SPOILERS are coming in a blog to the left!





Please don't judge me for quoting Beyonce.


SPOILERS AWAY!


The last Wednesday of the month is one of my favorite days out of the whole 30-something day cycle. All my favorite comics come out on the last Wednesday and since I only buy five comics a month, due to budgetary reasons, the last Wednesday pretty much defines my monthly comics experience.

Today was an excellent Wednesday, on most counts. Daredevil and Iron Fist, at the hands of Ed Brubaker, were wonderful. I can't wait for Daredevil #100 in August! It's triple-friggin-sized! My first 100! WOO!

However, I also got another first today. My first, "WHY!?" moment.

This sucks.....


WHY!?

For those of you that didn't realize that was just a digital picture on my kitchen counter top, Kyle Rayner, my favorite Green Lantern, metamorphized into the evil Parallax. The same Parallax that a decade ago drove many a Hal Jordan fan raving mad. Superman went out in a blaze of glory. GL's become monsters. BAH! I guess it goes with the space cop thing.

I understand that this, the whole evil thing, must happen. Even a character like Kyle Rayner, who is only about thirteen years old, becomes stale without change. The initial "Whiz-bang" of a hero fades away if the only problems he/she faces is the "villain of the month." It's what defines the "modern age" of comics, and what sometimes can destroy it. Again, I refer to the original Parallax shenanigans. If you go too edgy, then you eventually fall off.

Kyle recently became a near god in the "Ion" storyline, and now he has fallen. It makes sense. I enjoy superhero comics where the good guy actually wins. I don't mind how we get there and I don't mind Pyrrhic victories, but I like for characters to come out on top. DC will probably kill off Kyle Rayner, which makes for another comic first for me. As a nerd, it feels like I'm growing up. And I'M FREAKING OUT!!!!!

Hopefully SallyP will get her thoughts up about the Sinestro Corps War soon and I can calm down a bit. Until then....FREAKING OUT!

Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...