Friday, November 16, 2007

Cracked!

It's fire and ice time here in Ithaca. I don't mean the changing seasons (I saw snow flurries on my walk to work today) or those blasts of hot air that wash out of buildings as you step in from the cold. No, I mean the swing in emotions the local populace can now begin to feel.

Still giddy from the Dalai Lama's visit to Ithaca, locals can now FREAK OUT again because John "Put Some Clothes On" Ashcroft is speaking at Cornell!

That's John "Let the Eagle SOAR!" Ashcroft!

That's John "I Know You Checked Out Danielle Steel Novels" Ashcroft!

John "Patriot Act" Ashcroft!

WOW! A real former member of the Bush junta is coming here! A Cabinet member! The sound you hear is the collective Ithaca Sound Machine pushing the dial way past 11! Or the Ithaca zeitigeist cracking in half.

I wasn't a fan of John Ashcroft and his Attorney General policies. However, I think it is wonderful he is coming here to speak. It's much different to hear an opponent actually speak and elaborate on why they think what they are doing is right, then to just listen to the sound bites at Moveon.org. I have learned from the townies and given up on trying to get tickets, but maybe there will be a live broadcast or a speech archive later.

I wonder if CU will cover up the naked statue outside Uris Hall for the event?

Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...