Saturday, December 01, 2007

Dropped Books

In the past year or so, I have become a hard-liner when it comes to book. I employ a strategy called the "100 Page Rule." I read each and every book I get for the first 100 pages and if it doesn't entice me by then, it gets the drop.

I know it sounds mean, but I want to tap into the things that I love and that challenge me. No need for dead weight.

It is with mixed emotions that I have to drop my latest read, Jimmy Carter's The Hornet's Nest.

Readers of the blog will know that I very much like President Carter. Considering his history as the 39th president, you have to mention that when talking about this book.

Carter has about a dozen plus books to his name, focusing on subjects from the presidency to friendly monsters. I haven't read any of his other pieces, but considering that they were produced throughout his lifetime, I know he is doing something right when it comes to writing.

The Hornet's Nest is an ambitious book about the Revolutionary War in the American South. It does a great job at showing what life was like back then and in challenging the ideas of the American Master Narrative. I was excited to read it, and disappointed to have to drop it.

My biggest hangup? If the book were presented as a non-fiction account than I would be fine with it. Carter did an amazing amount of research, learning how Colonials made shoes and bought land. The minutiae in the book create a wonderful sense of place especially as the characters move from Philadelphia and into the Georgia. However, it is supposed to be a novel. As one reviewer on Amazon said, "It isn't a page turner."

With very little dialogue, the book feels handed to the reader. The sheer amount of detail would serve a historical textbook well, but as a novel it takes away from the central action. When the book does feature dialogue, it sounds like something pulled from an 8th grade oral presentation on the Revolutionary War...."Most colonial governments met the official requests from London for financial contributions, which rarely even covered the expenses of the colonies. But, in fact, a lot of merchants, including my own company, continued to trade freely with the French even during the conflict." That quote comes early in the book from a character named Mr. Know, who serves as a sort of Greek chorus for the protagonists. He is referring to the French-Indian War and Colonial involvement in the conflict. Why should our protagonist join the rebels? Insert Know. Oh, know we see!

I dropped the book around page 150. Maybe it was building towards something much bigger. Entire chapters were often designated to introduce a new character who could have played a larger role in the later plot. A friend of mine, who read the book, said this was the kind of book you wanted when stuck in an airport. I can see his point. With the amount of details and the sweep of this book, you want to give it a good chunk of time.

I was excited to read the book. Who had ever heard of any standard US history course mentioning anything about the Revolutionary War outside of New England? A great idea and some good words to go with it, but the attempt to fictionalize parts of this unknown history falls flat.

I still think you are one of the coolest, President Carter! I look forward to reading your other books in the new year! Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...