Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Turn of Phrase

Donnie Darko told us there is no word more beautiful in the English language than "cellar door." Apparently, this is attributed to Edgar Allan Poe. Or Mark Twain. Or it was made up by Frank the Rabbit.

While that might be the word, X-Files gives us the loveliest phrase in the English language. Maybe in all of oral communication!

"Fight The Future"

That is the tagline for the first X-Files movie. It represents the agents' efforts to stop the conspiracy and the 2012 invasion of Earth. Since the conspiracy has been working towards the invasion since 1947, stopping it is a race against the clock. Save the present by fighting our predestined future.

The phrase helps me play some fabolous mental gymnastics. It is a loaded phrase filled with potential, even though it it telling us to stop something. We are supposed to look forward to the future and, sometimes, even fear it. And we can change it or make it brighter, but only the X-Files tells us to fight it. I consider fight the future to be a stronger and thriving version of something like "Take Charge of Your Future" or "The Future is in our Hands." When my nieces and nephews graduate from high school, I am going to hand them a blank card that says "Fight the Future" in it. They will think I am weird, but, unlike Mulder's uncle who used to do magic, I am the strange uncle that gives you cryptic messages alongside gift cards.

You can fight the future everyday! Whenever you do something for your or society's future benefits then you are fighting the future! ALRIGHT!

Remember to go to school and get your degrees so you can fight the future!
Remember to go and vote on November 2nd so you can fight the future!
Eat those five servings of frutis and vegetables a day so you can fight the future!
Exercise tirty minutes a day so you can fight the future!
Tell your mom you love her so you can fight the future!
Take the bus to work today you can fight the future!

Try it! It is really fun and it makes you feel great and dynamic. Fighting the future is my therapy and I like to thing everything I do has a butterfly effect that ripples along my lifetime.

Oh, and remember...go see X-Files: I Want to Believe on July 25, 2008 so you can Fight the Future!

Fighting the Futre since 1993

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...