Sunday, July 29, 2018

Another Internet Paw Patrol Rant

My daughter loves Paw Patrol. Being younger than her brother she has had to endure many of his decisions and he often has the bully pulpit on what we watch and do. So she doesn't get to pick much even when we intervene but Paw Patrol has always been steady. Like my son for Thomas the Tank Engine it is all encompassing. Sets on sets on sets.

I have been around the Parent's Internet and noticed many funny asides on Paw Patrol.

What is the deal with Ryder?
Where is Ryder's family?
How are the funded?
Can't anyone in Adventure Bay help themselves?!
WHO PICKS UP THEIR POOP!?

Watching a recent episode I had an epiphany that Ryder, the shows 10 year old human boy protagonist, is not some kindly do-gooder. Instead he is a straight up micromanaging martinet. The dogs have all this gear and smarts (They are dogs that can talk and operate cars!) and yet he is always the one giving orders down to such a granular level that the dogs are just vectors. I know he gives his little mission briefing in every episode but this is different. This isn't "Oh, we got a water rescue so I need my amphibious guys like Zuma and even Rocky has a boat rig now" No, it is down to the sub atomic level fussy.

"Everest, use your snowboard to save the penguin!"
Ok, what else is she going to use? Her unicycle? Would she, or any of the other 6 Pups, just let it die?

"Marshall, use your hydro jet to attach this tracker to the Air Patroller!"
Ok, so...1) That silly. Have Skye FLY IT UP THERE! and 2) Maybe if you weren't busy bossing them around your crew could figure that out?

"Zuma, use your buoy to save that kitten from the bay!"
Arf arf arf! Oh ok... I was going to use my anvil to help it sink faster!

Considering Paw Patrol is Adventure Bay's only problem solvers you think Ryder would want to make it less centralized. What happens if he leaves? Grows up? The pups have been set up to fail by not knowing how to do anything.




No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...