Saturday, December 29, 2018

Something My Kids Said-Xmas Gift

Sometimes on Twitter I will post little scenes. I like to imagine I am Chekov and here are my tiny tales of dialogues. The bump to 280 characters was a boon to these but sometimes they are too long and I am bad at threads. They also lose their panache unless it is a spicy rant or something informative.

What happens with my family often proves worthy of a few likes so here is something that happened over Xmas.

To set the scene...I got my wife an SNES Mini for Xmas. She loves all those platformer games from our early to mid 90s youth and I knew it would get mileage just from Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. Its a neat little buy!

Sitting back waiting for my Nintendo money. Any time now...
I like that Nintendo added a tiny bit of mercy with a quick save state. If you ever played these games on an emulator (And I know we could do that but my wife would not get as much whimsy out of booting up some ROM file. The SNES Classis is tiny and cute and whimsical!) then you know what i talking about. You can save "live" to where you left off. So you hit re-set on the SNES Classic and go about your day, come back and BOOM! You are back where you left off. Which is nice because rememebr how damn hard games where? How merciless they were? In one tricky part of Donkey Kong Country I asked my wife "How are you going to beat this level!"

To which she replies "Well I just need to do it perfectly. A perfect run."

Ah, but of course! We will just nail it! At one point in Donkey Kong Country I bemaon "We don't have the frog! How are we going to get over this jump without the frog!?" And...whelp...there is no way to get over the damn jump without the frog. "I guess I will just stand here until the end of time. There is no time limit in this game."

Damn is this game hard. We let children play it! MINE CARTS!


Ok,  enough back story....here is the scene....This verbatim save for the names which are pseudonyms.

Wife: (Playing the SNES Mini. She has just died, again, in some tricky level in Super Mario World.) "Fuckin A! Can't believe it"

3 Year Old Daughter: (Looking up from her Paw Patrol Coloring Book) "Fuckin A"

Wife: (Shooting dagger eyes at my daughter) "Don't you say Fuckin A"

Daughter: "What? I am just saying Fuckin A. Just saying."

Wife: NO!

5 Year Old Son: "Yeah, Cleo. You should not say 'Fuckin A' because it is bad word. You should say 'Damn It.' That's a better word. Isn't that right, momma?"


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...