Friday, February 16, 2007

Movies I Felt Obliged to See #1

YES! I promised many, many, many weeks ago that I would give Lords of Dogtown the Fear of the Blank Page treatment. I have finally watched the movie and present it to you now in....


Movies I Felt Obliged to See #1

LORDS OF DOGTOWN
First, I got this movie as part of the PSP entertainment pack my lovely gf Amanda gave me. This is why I felt obliged to see it, because it came with the PSP. I must say that while the audio on the PSP for games is great, the audio for movies seems lackluster and tiny. I had the thing at full blast and still could barely make out the dialogue. Still, the PSP kicks ass.

I must also say that I am not a skater. I can't even skate, but my feelings for this movie aren't influenced by my inability to land some serious Tony Hawk shiz-nit. (Also, most of my skater knowledge comes from episodes of the NickToon, Rocket Power, so don't expect anything too incisive hear. My skate knowledge is stuck in 1987.)

You don't need to be a true sports fan to appreciate a sports movie. There is human drama in sports and great sports movies do that. Think of Rocky. There is little human drama in this movie where any story gets ripped apart by the insertion of a skate scene. These scenes, by the way, are great looking, but don't really make up for the difference that I just don't care. That is a shame too since the story talks about how these punk kids revolutionized a sport. I don't need a skateboarding background to understand how skating looks like today is much different from the skating of 30 years ago.

In reading up on the film, I found out this is a fictionalized version of a documentary produced by one of the legendary skaters himself called Dogtown and Z-Boys. I hear that movie is much better and explains the actual story of the skaters. By being a movie first, Lords of Dogtown suffered. Makes sense. If you want to learn about surfing then why watch Blue Crush when you could watch Step Into Liquid.

Overall, Lords of Dogtown always seems overshadowed by its non-fiction counterpart and being that I haven't even seen the latter, it was pretty unexciting. And so is this post. But I got that monkey off my back! Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...