Friday, August 10, 2018

 Every August I have these stretches where i get 12 hours of sleep in a 4 day span and we are in the thick of it. To stay awake I drink a lot of water (An old '"Indian" trick as I was told by a girl I knew in high school) and listen to music since I am past the point where caffeine has any effect on me beyond the Pavlovian need to drink it.

Sheepishly I heard a song on a mix that really got me jazzed. It sounded so damn true. WTF is this song?! And then I saw an ad for the new Mission Impossible movie and I was "Oh yeah it has that pseudo tense percussion! Did they make this for the movie? WHO IS IT"

It's Imagine Dragons...🤷 Friction to be specific from an album called Smoke and Mirrors that came out 3 years ago. I could swear it was made specifically for this movie.

Hey, I ain't throwing no shade. If/when I sign I sound like a series of metal bowls spinning on the floor of an haunted asbestos mine. And...hey they make hits and pay the bills. One of my favorite bands is Linkin Park and in college I did not like being chided by all the hippies and hipsters in town over their phony sound. That is great you love zydeco and blue grass but not so much for me.

But...it was a surprise. Like those commercials where they are "This coffee must be gourmet!" and then they pull back the curtain and they say "You think that but its actually Walgreen's brand Nice! Breakfast Blend" Well...you got me indeed.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...