Wednesday, February 27, 2019

New Car: The Search

In college people nicknamed me the "Ultimate Pedestrian." I would walk from all the way in Garden 29 on the top of South Hill in Ithaca, NY to the Wegman's grocery store on Meadow Ave and that blew people away. It was maybe 2.4 miles per a quick online search but it was uphill both ways! I walked everywhere around town. In all weather. My freshmen year I was surprised to learn that a girl I knew in high school (she has transferred out before our senior year) ended up at Cornell. And she found me on AOL Instant Messenger (Remember that?) and we went to an Incubus concert on the Cornell campus. And, I had a crush on her in HS and yes, I tried to shot my shoot, at the concert but did not work. So, it was fun (This was around the Crow Left of the Murder album) but I then had to walk across town and from the other hill in the October rain. And this is before I knew of the foot bridge short cut over Six Mile Creek so year I went uphill both ways for sure.

Then I graduated and still did not have a car. After graduation I remember test driving a used Toyota Corolla at a tiny dealer in Groton, NY because a misprint in the paper made it seem like it was only 1,725 for a 2 year old car (Should have been 17,250) and getting pulled over by a local cop. They assumed I stole the car because the dealer forgot to put the dealer plate on it. The dealer trusted us to just zip around town. And did I mention Groton, NY was so tiny that the local police was a Chevy Malibu with a siren and a literal yellow safety colored magnet that said "Groton PD." That was maybe the last time I dreamed of driving for 3 years.

THen we moved to Ohio and I got a job on the other side of the city. A 2 hour commute via bus and train each way. Which I did not mind because i could read or sleep or daydream. And it was just me and my wife. No kids, little obligation. But, wow did that suck. But I was stuck in these temporary gigs and 25K a year.

Then Amy Dematteo quit. She was the volunteer coordinator at the non-profit I temp'ed at. Then I became volunteer coordinator. Here is 35K! OK, lets go! That is some real money. Then Mimi Hable quit and I became Director of Operations of the whole thing and then I started making adult money even with my minimum credentials. Lets go crazy! Lets go get a Purple Honda Fit. A spring for the sport model! What is the difference between stock and sport. Sport has a cool spoiler! Oh, yeah I need the fucking spoiler. When the finance guy asked me how long I planned to drive it I said "Until the wheels fall off"

I love my little purple car. Yeah it was disappointing to see such a tiny car be a little baby gas guzzler (Well its the biggest subcompact car!) but it was game changing. People could leave a mere 30 minutes before their event!? I was no longer a serf to the RTA bus. I appreciated my privilege. And when I first had the car I was so nice. Oil changes every 3000 miles and car washes every week. But then I had kids and then I kept eating a lot more fast food then I should and I hit too many winter potholes. It still runs but at 96K miles my wife wants me to switch out. "Our kids ride in it." And maybe we can eek some value before we hit the 100K automotive cliff.

So I am in the market for a new car and it feels weird because I have only ever driven one car. And I own the Fit so not happy to take on a new payment. It is literally the only thing of value I outright own. We had a house,but then we had kids.

Wait that is not true...I do own a Kaladesh Masterpiece Sol Ring and she is gorgeous and she is Kryptonite rare and she is $400.

AHHHH! MARRY ME!
 But when your most valuable possession is a piece of cardboard you keep (double sleeved!) in a piece of plastic it is time indeed to re-think then plan.

So in the market for a new car and I am thinking of a Subaru Forester Sport because...well honestly because it has that neat orange trim and just a tiny little spoiler. I cannot escape my inner douche bro.








No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...