Thursday, August 15, 2019

Spooky

My son uses an app called Epic to read books for school. We paid for the full personal subscription this summer to prevent that summer brain drain. It's a wonder app loaded with books and then "read to you" functions that are like visual audio. Looks with flyout words. The app has minigame functions like rankings and  badges so it feels quite satisfying  to click "Finish Book" and see the screen sparkle with confetti.

The app customizes a personal library for the user and my son had developed a penchant,  organically,  for something from my past.

He adores books about unexplained phenomenon.

And it brings me back to tween and HS years where I began a "Para Science Club" (We could not call it Paranomal Club for fear of offending good Chrsitian folks. Aren't we a private  non secular school I told the princiapl. Yes, we are but stil...)
And this club was lame. Like the kids from Stranger  Things but with nothing to do. Our adviser, Ms Iorio, was the delight of the 7th grade boys and while glad to have the bodies it was still a bunch of 7th graders hearing about man eating plants from us seniors. We were so cool.

Seeing the words he reads are touchstones to a powerful developmental memory. I hear of those studies that say the music you loved as a youth will always be your favorite. There are no new tastes only what we have forgotten.

These words are touchstones. These incidents a collective memory I can connect him too

The Flatwoods  Monster
Betty and Barney Hill
Kirlian Photography
Geists
Psychic Vampires
The Rendelsham Forest Incident
Bob Lazar
Fortean  Times
El Chupacabra
Cryptids
The Greys

I show my son a picture of the original printing of Communion and he is not chilled (as I was. That feeling that crawls from the top of your heart and into your chest) but just covers his mouth but still showing a huge  smile.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...