Monday, March 09, 2020

Corona Post 3

There is news that Corona Virus may have made it to Puerto Rico. And while i would be more concerned about the endemic bogey man disease of dengue I also don't live there anymore. But I made this meme which gave Mami a chuckle.


It is a very specific Hispanic cultural memory (or trauma). Getting threatened by a a leather sandal. A chancleta.

No ones dad's took of their belts in Puerto Rico. It was your mom who whipped of her sandal and smacked it against the closest hard surface. And, if there was none available (Say you were standing off at high noon with her) then she would crack it against the flat of her palm. Mami would thrown them at me. "If you ever have a child I hope it turns out just like you!" she would utter before she whipped the sandal at me.

So I assumed the same spine straightening power of the sandal could zap the lipid bi-layer of Corona Virus.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...