Monday, June 08, 2020

Periodicals

Opening the shrink wrap of a bundle of Highlights for Children magazine I realized that my children would never have the gut busting thrill of getting a magazine in the mail. I mean, I know they exist but my children are part of that emerging YouTube generation where live TV hurts their heads and endless books are on tablets through things like RazKids and Epic.

I had to wait 6 to 8 weeks (an infinite amount of time to a child) for the first issue of ZooBooks. Do you remember Zoo Books?! They came with stickers and a tiger poster and the elephants issue is free but only if you order now! And, now as an adult, wow thanks guy for a free elephants issue that you already printed. Can someone do the math? Did they only print 11 for the normal bundle and then sucker us into the getting the full 12th (one per month) by having moms call with their credit cards NOW?!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S8EvnM2XUTI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My main stay was Nickelodeon magazine. Rememebr that back in the go -go 90s you had to pay for Disney Channel and we didn't always have it. Mami would pick and choose from the cable bill like someone saying "Wait, one second. We did not get cheese on this burger and were charged for it!" But Nickelodeon was a basic channel and that way my jam.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oel0zjpKCwE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note that Nickelodeon magazine covered a lot of stuff not on the channel including this mascot fuzzy dog named Zelda that went on comic book adventures. I remember one prank sheet they included about hotels where they included a sheet of paper you could leave in the drawer of a hotel room. You know, where the bible is, right? Then as you leave you put this diploma looking thing in there that had MadLib style blank sheets of paper on it for your family name and that because you were so awesome that that room now needed to be preserved, but you (the new guests) were welcome to breath the air. There was also a Thanksgiving bingo card they included once where they told us to put a piece of inedible gristle in one square. You know, tape it over with some scotch tape. 

I didn't get Nintendo Power because the budget to make that worthwhile was way beyond my reach. I had friends for that with endless NES and SNES games. No Disney Adventures as aforementioned I was a Nick stan. Mad Magazine too which I bought only at the Amigo supermarket and sometimes even Cracked which was trickier to find and because of that felt special regardless of how derivative it felt of Mad. All the back issues of Mad and Cracked stayed in a space above my closet next to shoeboxes of Magic cards. To flick through when the power went out or before bed.


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...