Friday, May 12, 2023

Action Music

Someone recently asked me "What is your walk up song?" Some context, we were at a baseball game, so it made sense in the moment. Not like someone asked me this at a bus stop or in the line at Marc's. 

I answered Sandstorm by Darude, which appropriately aged me but also nailed it as an excellent song. Many high fives from the others needling both sides of 40. Someone said a song by A$AP Rocky and I was "Who? What?" But, that got a praise chorus from the younger set. 

I struggle whenever asked "What kind of music do you like?" That question seemed an extension for it and luckily I overheard it as my colleagues worked down the line of co-workers. Had time to think and make something true to myself but not too esoteric. This all makes me sound like quite the hipster and, don't worry, its more that I like video game scores or "action music." Action music being a term I coined and never shared until now in this post.

Is your song one I can set a sword fight against? Yes? Then, that is the first step! What else do you have? Bleeps? Bloops? Score of public domain submarine sounds like in Kate Bush's Under Ice?* Descending violin notes? That is something I overheard once cutting through the music school in college (I used to walk at night listening to....guess what...on my discman and poke through buildings to sometimes escape the cold or just make for change of scenery) and then in the description of the actual audio clip I found, years later, on YouTube. 

Action music is what plays when the heroine armors up or undergoes the henshin transformation to become a super hero. Gets streaks of pink in her hair and a barbed sword flies down to land in her hand. 


*Note this song does not meet action music status. But it is moody and has a climbing ominous energy. It is a song to set a trailer to for the hero to work against/with said action music.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...