Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fur coats and cowboy hats!

Great to see that this story ran as the top Americas headline on the BBC for the entire weekend. A bit disheartening to notice that today's edition of the New York Times didn't give the protests any coverage on the front page except for a blurb telling readers to dig through the news section. I only mention this because if you believe the radical neo-con logic that the NY Times is an America-hating leftist rag then why would they deny Jane Fonda top billing over an article about how an imam found greatness in the suburbs? It was still a good article that challenged stereotypes and cultural clashes, but, where is the America-hating rancor!?

And while I admire the peace protesters and support them in trying to end the current Iraq war, I am not an outright pacifist. Mostly because when I hear the words "heat ray gun" and "developed" in the same article I tend to freak out, just a little.

LOOK AT THAT THING! AMAZING! About fucking time too! H.G. Wells is standing up in heaven with HP Lovecraft and Jules Verne laughing at us for taking so long. Now, military-industrial complex, get working on those jet packs and flying cars! All in the name of freedom, of course.

I would post some pictures but all the pics come from either military/defense sites or pacifist/anti-war sites. One group has the actual heat ray and the other has many lawyers. Hence, just hit the link.

I just realized that celebrating both a protest and a weapon designed to counter protests is inherently "redoncolous." Yes, so crazy and oxymoronic that new words are needed for it.

I will have more for you guys later. Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...