Tuesday, January 16, 2007

In the Red States

I feel like Jim Anchower, but I am sorry that I have not blogged in a while. Not being in the office anymore it is hard to find downtime to blo...err...I mean...I never, EVER, blogged while at work! Got to keep myself straight for references to other jobs. Yes, but I have been busy as I am working extra shifts at my other job and pounding the pavement for other jobs.

Anyway today's post is an off topic one, which means....

DAREDEVIL TIME!

The local comic shop just had a winter sale and all back issues where 50% off! You could buy comics for the ye olde prices of $1.25! I have stuck to my New Year's resolution of sticking to just a few monthly titles, but this was a deal! I took 5/6th of a Daredevil miniseries called...


Daredevil Redemption

Consider yourself warned of spoliers, baby!



Written by David Hine and drawn by Michael "The kids never let me down for my last name" Gaydos, DD:R finds Matt Murdock/DD in the God-fearing regions of Redemption Valley, Alabama. A young boy has been brutally murdered and the local color immediately blames a trio of supposed Satanists lead by Joseph Flood. Joe's Flood, Emily, crosses the Mason-Dixon line in search of a real-live Atticus Finch. She finds Matt, who after a bit of setup, takes the case of the wrongfully accused boy to heart.
DD tries to save a boy in NYC from an abusive dad, only to have the boy tell him that DD just doesn't understand and the drunk dad is a good guy! Hence, the trip to Alabama. I guess that makes sense. Like the picutre, eh? Of course you don't! It is horrible! I added the glare box to describe exactly what is there...a big white spoltch of glare. I must admire the handsome wood paneling, however.


DD goes down to Dixie along with his legal intern Constance. Matt does not try to sleep with her, which is a first for him. Not that Matt is some lecherous fiend that throws himself at women. He can barely keep the ladies off of him, even with all that ninjitsu! If you want the details you can go read the thing for yourself. It has already been collected as a trade paperback, in case your comic shop does not have a 50% of EVERYTHING sale. Anyway...down in Redemption Valley we find out that Joe Flood really didn't do it and that the local God-fearing folks ain't that pious to begin with. Funny to see DD and Matt Murdock, the most Catholic of the Marvel heroes and one of the few I find openly religous, having to deal with the local evangelicals.

DD:R is a great story and for a story with no (Yes, you heard right) instances of DD kicking someone in the head it keeps you pretty excited. DD and the readers know Joe Flood really didn't do it, but Matt has to keep to his morals. The final issue has the first scene in comics that I have found heart-wrenching. My comics readership is young and fledgling, but we all need that first moment where the damn book stomps all over our heart! In a good way, of course! This was it...

As DD:R is set in the current Volume 2 run of DD, the story touches upon Matt's secret identity and how some NYC tabloids outed him as the vigilante Daredevil. I am still not too clear as to DD:R's time frame. The comic begins with a caption that reads "Seven Years Ago," but it all feels contemporary. I guess DD comes back to Redemption to witness Joseph Flood's execution and issues 1-5 are just flashbacks.

What an execution it is! With his super senses Matt can hear Joe Flood die and each of the chemicals shut down its intended part of the body. If anyone could attest as to exactly how humane lethal injection was then it would be Daredevil. However, this being comic books it would be just as easy to execute someone and bring them back with some Dr. Strange power or something. In any case, it is intense. Joe has heard of Matt's troubles all the way on death row and begs for him to bust him out of jail. The panels in yellow are hard to read as we know Matt has all the power to do that and should. He is a vigilante, but right now he is a lawyer and a honest one too boot! He isn't powerless to stop it. He chooses not to.

It would have been great to see Daredevil beat on some hill billies, but I guess I will have to make due with the various goombas, ninjas, and armored freaks that he beats down. I must admit I could not get issue 5 so maybe he kicked the crap out of some redneck there, but it seems like mostly court room stuff from the look of the "previously in DD:R!" from issue 6. In any case, DD:R is a nice little read that explores the conflict of Daredevil and Matt Murdock.

Peace!


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...