Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Into the Future

I almost forgot to keep blogging this week. Oh, it's not because of the busy holidays or anything like that.

Amanda and I got ourselves cable as an early Christmas gift to ourselves and I forgot how nice it is to have more than 13 TV channels. We got the next step up from the super duper basic plan we used to have so we have the most channels available before needing to get a digital box. Maybe we will move to that some day and DVR things, but, for now, we are happy with having taken a step into the late 1980s.

In just a few days of TV watching I must ask...What is up with all the ghosts shows? This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I used to be really into the paranormal, even starting an afterschool club about it. Yeah, I'm was that cool. I have grown more skeptical in my older age, but still find the whole genre fabulously entertaining.

Discovery Channel has A Haunting and Ghost Lab. It's sister network, Travel Channel, has Most Haunted and Ghost Adventures. A&E just launched the season premiere of our favorite, Paranormal State, but also has Psychic Kids. SyFy (When the hell did they change their name?) has Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters Academy. And Histor Channel remains the UFO channel, which beats being the WWII channel, but, not by much.

Ghost stories have never really been out of style. Hamlet has a ghost story within it not to mention the hundreds of indigenous and religious narratives on spirits. But, they must have traded in all their back stock of Ecto Cooler to become cable reality TV darlings. When I was a kind, we had to make do with the ominous interlude and a trench coated Robert Stack on Unsolved Mysteries. And that ran on Lifetime right after SuperMarket Sweep! That about juxtaposition. They should have aired SuperMarket Sweep afterwards so you could calm yourself down. Or we had to hunt down what channel Sightings aired on to hear the former local WKYC-Channel 3 TV achorman Tim White speak in his dramatic telenovela style.

Apparently....They're here and all over the basic cable line up. Peace.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...