Monday, December 07, 2009

Finish Line

Speaking of television of necessity, we have become big fans of The Amazing Race.

Actually, I am bit sorry I did not start watching this show earlier considering it has been on since 2001 and it has nice geography theme to it. It is also originated in the U.S., which is very unusual for any popular reality show, hell, any show, here in the U.S. I also appreciate that contestants have a bigger motivation to win and not spin their fifteen minutes of fame into a larger faux celebrity status. Contestants are often antagonized by their very partner, which doesn't seem catty, but realistic when you make a pair of newlyweds race around the world. Amanda and I agreed that we would KILL each other if we were on the race.

The show aired its 15th season finale yesterday and lovebirds Meghan and Cheyne won. Congrats! The good news is that you won. The bad news is that now you really need to get married. No more of this will they, won't they dating. There is $1 million dollars to consider, you know.

Meghan and Cheyne were not my favorites. I was rooting for the Harlem Globetrotters, Flight Time and Big Easy. Alas, they did not make it to the final after getting tied up in an obstacle that made them sort out the word Franz from a word jumble. One of the few times the Globetrotters lose and it had to be on Amazing Race! It didn't help that they were betrayed by one of the Amazing Douche Bag Brothers. I guess some viewers appreciated the brothers constant bickering, but it did not help that each arguments was a nasal whine. You could hear those nostrils take a nice breath before someone uttered, "I'm tryyyyyinnnng, Dan!" or "Shut upppppp, Sam!"

While I like the show, I must admit to several face palm moments that made me clutch the couch cushions. As a geography nerd, it is painful to hear Cheyne ask a cab driver, "What country is Monaco in?" or "We need to go to the country of Prague!" Or hearing one of the Amazing Douche Bag Brothers pronounce Monaco as Moe-na-coe. Yeesh. Almost as horrible as the time the local CBS affilitate, WOIO, spelled Czech Republic as Check Republic and told us that the Soviets had invaded South Ossetia in 2008.

Peace!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...