Thursday, March 21, 2019

Sorting Hat and MTG Color Pie

Harry Potter is one of those pop culture phenomenons that I have no exposure to. Ditto Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica.

THis week at work there has been a running gag in the morning all staff message about "HP House Appreciation Day" It was "Hufflepuff Appreciation Day" one day then "Slytherin Appreciation Day" and people rejoiced calling out their houses and sharing coats of arms. I was beyond confused and felt like how most everyone must feel whenever I say something.

I ended up taking a quiz on the official Pottermore website and got sorted into House Gryffndor which I was told a lot of people want to be in because that is where Harry belongs and I was "Neat" albeit I have no clue what this means. Its a "good" house that values chivalry and doing the right thing. THat's cool, especially since that aligns with my MTG Color Alignment! So lets go really super nerdy! Consider this your warning!

Not a fan of linking to wiki pages to explain something (I mean you could do that) but honestly it is the best explanation without needing to know all the game's nuances. And it's 25 years of nuances. So here it is. 

If you have read this blog (or you follow me on Twitter. Take a drink if you do both because you do need it) then I am Bant.


Like the article says "Its Camelot on the savannah" There are knights that ride giant lions, there are castes but you can rise through them by gaining sigils. And sigils are like little Pokemon gym badges. Its order and learning. Rules but still inspired to grow. Its duty and doing the right thing even though it sucks to have to do that sometimes.  I am very much so a core "white" mage in MTG and this is the "white" plane in its story arc.

So, Im Bant because I'm white (I like order and getting things done. I want to protect) and Im a bit blue (I want to learn and improve) and then a bit green (Because I want to protect my community and things exist for a reason and yay nature and going hiking. These are not always so elegant). I'm also Bant because this is a card game and its my blog.

The head designer of MTG will answer color identity questions on Tumblr sometimes albeit it is usually around fictional characters. Short answer for what color you are is...all 5. Because people are complicated. But, that is no fun!

So I took the 25-plus people I work with and assigned them color identities. Now, I am not naming any names because (while no one reads this I am not that dumb) and nothing mean here but its also super weird because...its a trading card game where you put little pieces of cardboard in little plastic sleeves and then say stuff like "At end of your end step" or "Does it resolves" or "Get wrecked!"

Now, working at a school most people are blue-white or Azorius. Oh yeah, all the pairings have neat little names for branding.

And that makes sense because the Azorius are all about rules and order and setting law to improve the world. It can be heavy handed but they create the social contract for all of us to follow. In the game they really ham up the "angry bueracrats" because its a game about conflict but OSHA is Azorius. Public health is Azorius. Law and learning is Azorius. It is my default two color guild (If forced to choose just two colors) because yeah I am bit tightly wound.

So about 12 people are Azorius and like all the teachers I admire how they can teach and create order and learning from the chaos of a room of students. You really should thank a teacher more often.

Then about 4 people are Boros which is White and Red. And red in the game often is pigeon holed as FIRE FIRE FIRE (Remember its a game about conflict) but it is passion, impulse, creativity, love, and art. And Boros gets stereotyped as fight, fight (the logo is a giant fist! C'mon!) but these folks want to teach or effect change but are always sincere. In their likes and fears. In what makes them happy and what makes the nuts. I admire such honesty to themselves.

There is love in here

Then 3 are Izzet which are the "mad scientists" but here are people who are really creative and have big ideas that sometimes do drive me nuts. But those ideas make so many people happy and teaching and sharing them is admirable. Izzet folks also make things usually go Ka-Boom and yeah I can see some of these folks doing that.

Zap zap!


Then there is an oddball Orzhov someone whose ambition to always be right is admirable.

Also, an oddball Simic whose space is teeming with life and the amalgam of many living ideas.



An oddball Temur person (Red, Blue, and Green) who I could see scaling an icy facade or punching a bear.

I love the Temur. When I'm angry I become Temur

4 or 5 Selensya (Green and White) people which is my other other default two color guild. It reminds me of my younger days when I was much more idealistic. Wore a lot more hemp and carried recyclables back home. I love my Selesnya co-workers who bubble always upbeat and their spaces ordered and harmonious. Then one Naya co-worker (White, Green, and Red) who is all that but then always creating.

Selesnya Squad! 💓

Then 2 Esper people which is Blue and White with a bit of Black. Which if you are an old school MTG player black is the "evil" color but they have lately (ie last 10 years) tweaked that to ambition and "ends justifying the means." Which opens up a ton of potential for story and world building. And I admire how these folks want to affect change and maybe don't always stay so humble because yes what they did does deserve note.

Oh, one Abzan person (Green-White-Black) which is someone who would be Selesnya but they never stop and are always first and fast and best. Higher, Further, Faster!

I would follow my Abzan co-worker into the wastes


Then 4 Jeskai folks (Red-White-Blue) and these are awesome people (And I know I have said everyone is awesome) but these folks are awesome. Because they are everything the Azorius folks are but they never stop creating and doing even when it drives them nuts. Or others. I share an office with 2 of them and the red in them drives me up the wall sometimes (Why can't we do this? Oh, I did this already!) but that makes me a better person. And, yes, in game the Jeskai are flying kung-fu ninja monks which helps but everything else is true!

Hi-KEEBA! Also, do you know Narset is canonically on the autism spectrum. Representation matters!

I love the color pie. Its like Myers-Briggs but with MTG!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...