Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Soundtracks Part 2

The Strutting Song (I.E. Play this song and I will strut. Quite badly, mind you)

El Ciclon by Cafe tacvba

Had I stayed in Puerto Rico then my musical tastes in Spanish would have evolved. But, they have stayed static so I am now the equivalent of the ornery custodian who blasts classic rock while they wax the floors. If there is even any "rock en espaƱol" out there I am cut off since even satellite radio just plays endless loops of merengue, salsa, bachata and sanitize poppy regeaton. Look, I understand those are our sounds but Jazz is an American sound and if say I lived in Nauru and someone told me "Listen to the American station!" and it was nothing but jazz and maybe a Selena Gomez Top 40 hit I would cry. Stop playing my parents music Spanish language station. Play the music my kids are going to say is their parents music. Jarabe de Palo! Soda Stereo! La Oreja de Van Gogh. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs! Aterciopelados! Molotov! Fuck, even Mana. 

Play El Ciclon by Cafe Tcvba, cowards! I wills strut and feel amazingly cool while maximizing my total tool look.



The Crossing Stuff Off the List Song

Shoes, Cars, And Soft Drinks by Alias.

Ok, this is a deep track.I can't find it on YouTube. I have the album but unless you want to come over and chill and listen to Alias you may need to do some digging. I found it streaming on....Deezer? I would say the youth listen to that but that names sounds very "boomer"-y. Or its that meme where "Kids we have Spotify at home" and its Deezer.

Anyway if you listen to it then it is a great jam to fling things off your list. The perfect soundtrack to driving a bold pencil line through the Post It note. I can't say I listen to this a ton because I need the physical media for it but I hear it in my head often. Its my presenting a Power Point song.

The Hiking Song

Lost Woods song or Saria's Song from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

I really wanted to avoid actual video game music here because I enjoy lots of those jams but the fandom seems way too rabid. I just like these jams, ok? The sound track to Chrono Trigger did not help me comes to terms with my mother's death, OK?! I am sorry I found release somewhere else.

But anyway, its a jaunty little song to get tromping with. Do doo doo do doo doo do doo doo DADA DADA DADA.

Here is a dubstep version which is quite on brand.



The "We Got There!" song. Or the I did something physical song

Amazing by Kanye West

Read this blog and you will notice I am not physically adept. But sometimes I will run at the gym and not get winded after jacking the treadmill up to a new resistance. Or, I will catch an errant coffee cup someone bumps off a table. Or, I will smash a piece of furnture at my job and clean out a whole backroom of clutter. And this song plays. Taken to an extreme it is also the daydream song whenever I want to imagine myself the hero instead of the guy running. Because, yes, even in my dreams I often just an ancillary character.




Speaking of lists lets end it with a list of quick situations and songs....

When someone says "Lets Work on This Together" or any sort of appeal to teamwork---Together by Avril Lavigne.

Any emergency---Breathe by The Prodigy*

When my kids will not be quiet about Minecraft or tea parties or dinosaurs....This Is The Song That Never Ends by Shari Lewis

When someone says "No, that's dangerous" or "Lets be careful"....What's Up Danger by Blackway and Black Caviar

Any western or cowboy thing, ever....Country Delight by the Beastie Boys. May be swapped with Old Town Road by Lil Nas X which I un-ironically enjoyed and learned all the words to in an effort to impress the people at work. But the only people impressed were the 5th graders! GAH!




*Note that I wold totally be one of those people that needs to find the music to play before something goes down. "Hold one, honey. We can't race to the hospital to deliver the baby until I find the right song. No, I don't have a playlist. I just dig it up on YouTube."






No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...