Thursday, June 26, 2008

One Year To Go!

What an exciting time late June 2009 will be! By this point in 2009, Amanda and I will be married and, on this very date (June 26, 2009*) the sequel to the Transformers live action movie will premiere!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Previous posts should tell you how much Amanda and I adored Transformers! We saw the movie four times in the theater and once at Cornell Cinema. Funny that the one and only time I ever went to Cornell Cinema was to see a huge Hollywood blockbuster (as opposed to an art house film), but how can you deny another opportunity to watch this movie! Forget about the intelligentsia and pray, please pray, that the sequel will meet expectations.

Of course, the Internet teems with rumors. I tend to steer clear of these and I seriously do not want any spoilers...except for what robots we can expect to see!

So it looks like much of the original cast will return and that Rainn Wilson of The Office will also star in a minor role! I can't wait for the reciprocality between the film and the The Office series. I can imagine Dwight touching on the film...

"I love Japan, but I would never visit. They have several armored transforming robots and girls in mini skirts protecting their islands. Yeah, islands. It is made up of several. Blew your mind, uh? Just like Japan."

I do hope that the robot Jazz returns. Even though
it is a movie about giant robots and has a girl dodging debris in pumps and a belly shirt, I can appreciate that the writers killed off a (somewhat) likeable character. But I want him back! He is so slick and did you see his car!? I want that super modified Pontiac Solstice. It would be like driving the Millenium Falcon!


Michael Bay is back creating his unique brand of "bay-hem**" and that is great! I can't believe I just said that, but you have to stick true to the original. If I read a book written by a trained chimp and really enjoyed it, then I would only want the trained chimp to write the second novel. Of course, Michael Bay is not a chimp and he made the incredibly exciting first Transformers film, so he gets some serious credit on this blog. I am a fanboy, but not a mean fanboy. I don't care if Bay and the writers color Starscream entirely cool grey or Arcee (a new Autobot that also doubles as a token female character) something not pink.

"But Statrscream was red, blue, yellow, and grey in the G1 cartoon! And Arcee was pink! " say the fanboys. "You will pay Bay!"

Yes, and a tri-colored jet fighter painted by what seems to be Mrs. Luofer's pre-school art class seems realistic. And a female character colored entirely in hot pink? What a great message to young girls. You can be anything you want to be ladies, but only wear these colors.
While fanboys dominate the Internet buzz and will debate the movies endlessly, I think we geeks sometimes forget that these movies make there money because the non-geeky watch them as well. The writers already need to get around the fact that giant, sentient, robotic organisms, from space, somehow come to Earth and decide to change into cars. And planes. And stereos. Oh, and we also want to writers to color them hot pink.

Sure, you need to stick to the originals, but I would not mind if that chimp write his second novel on a computer instead of a typewriter.

Oh, I can't wait! PEACE!

*This could change, which means I would have to keep living for even longer. So far, so good!
**Seriously, this is what Bay's crew call his distinct style of movie making.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...