Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Year in Books

I present the list of books I read in 2006. The 2006 list tops my 2005 list by seven books and I hope to beat/meet this list in 2007! That might prove tricky as both lists are inflated by books I had to read for school. There are no textbooks here, but still, books assigned to me and my various classmates. However, I did actually read these books (being the good nerd I am) and since you can pick them up in a bookstore anywhere, I included them in this final list.

By the way, The best book I read this year had to be Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild, which was the first book that made me cry. Really great read. You should pick it up and cry some too.

ONWARD...

1) The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency-Alexander McCall Smith
2) Reinventing Eden-Carolyn Merchant
3) The Club Dumas-Arturo Perez-Reverte
4) Earth Democracy-Vandana Shiva
5) The Lost World-Michael Crichton
6) The Word for World is Forest-Ursula K. LeGuinn
7) Boiling Point-Ross Gelbspan
8) Red Mars-Kim Stanley Robinson
9) The Working Life-Joanne Ciulla
10) Anansi Boys-Neil Gaiman
11) Frankenstein-Mary Shelley
12) Rising Tide-John M. Barry
13) Diamond-Steve Lerner
14) Woman on the Edge of Time-Marge Piercey
15) Neuromancer-William Gibson
16) Resource Wars-Michael Klare
17) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress-Robert Heinlein
18) Cochabamba-Tom Lewis and Oscar Olivera
19) The Time Machine-H.G. Wells
20) Six Modern Plagues-Mark Jerome Walters
21) A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess
22) Burning Rage of a Dying Planet-Craig Rosebraugh
23) Reading Lolita in Tehran-Azar Nafisi
24) How to Breathe Underwater-Julie Orringer
25) Rabbit Punches-Jason Ockert
26) Candy Freak-Steve Almond
27) When the Rivers Run Dry-Fred Pearce
28) The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil-George Saunders
29) A Friend of the Earth-T.C. Boyle
30) The House on Mango Street-Sandra Cisneros
31) Blackhawk Down-Mark Bowden
32) Out of Eden-Alan Burdick
33) Longitudes-Dava Sobel
34) Mutant Message Down Under-Marlo Morgan
35) Godforsaken Sea-Derek Lundy
36) 10th Grade-Joseph Weisberg
37) The Quality of Life Report-Meghan Daum
38) Ghost Wars-Steve Coll
39) Possible Side Effects-Augusten Burroughs
40) V For Vendetta-Alan Moore
41) Daughter of Fortune-Isabel Allende
42) Hunters of Dune-Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
43) American Splendor-Harvey Pekar
44) The Poet of Tolstoy Park-Sonny Brewer
45) Galileo's Daughter-Dava Sobel
46) Garbage Land-Elizabeth Royte
47) The Grand Complication-Allen Kurweil
48) Into the Wild-Jon Krakauer
49) Memorias de mis putas tristes (Memories of my sad whores)-Gabriel Garcia Marquez
50) The Real Science Behind The X-Files-Anne Simon
51) Under the Banner of Heaven-Jon Krakauer
52) The Spanish Civil War-Antony Beevor
53) Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury
54) Stiff-Mary Roach
55) In the Lake of the Woods-Tim O'Brien
56) Great Plains-Ian Grazier

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007 FROM THE FEAR OF THE BLANK PAGE!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...