Monday, January 13, 2014

Prince With A Thousand Enemies

If you saw my last post, you know that I am slowly cleaning out some of the older posts so that any inquisitive readers are not set aghast by the bonkers formatting. While doing this I saw this picture of our old rabbit Carson from when I used to live in Trumansburg, NY. This must have been December 2006.


It is a nice picture and the kick off to another sort of feature I will label as "Catching Up." It covers what happened during my four year hiatus.

We had many more adventure with Carson and he ended up living in five different homes and not to mention dozens of bathrooms and side rooms while we bounced around between apartments or on vacations. One of the reasons Amanda and I moved to the east side of Cleveland was because it was closer to a vet who could check out all these varmints. We ended up paying close to $400 to this vet to remove a benign tumor (about the size of a lentil) from Carson's head back in 2009 or so. All for a bunny bought on a whim for $25 (Which I know now, after having Carson for eight years, is awful) at the Pyramid Mall pet store.

Carson (full name Carson James Rabbit) passed away on May 4, 2012. It was the same day that Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys passed away and that the Avengers move (partially filmed in Cleveland) came out in theaters. It was also the day we fired a particularly nasty guy at my work. Someone no one could stand or trust. Hence, it was kind of a big deal day. Rabbits make a kind of death rattle when they sense they are close to the end and I heard this shrill and quick murmur while driving back from the emergency vet on 90 West. If you ever wanted to note the audio equivalent of a paper cut, then that is the rabbit death rattle. I was listening to Beastie Boys (Every radio station played it that day) and I could not believe that he went so fast after supposedly stabilizing at the vet. We never learned what killed him, but he had eight good years and if not for whatever struck him down so quickly maybe another 2 or 3 in him. He was no angel (Owning a rabbit is taking all the worst parts of a dog and worst parts of a cat and putting them in the world cutest packaging) but I love rabbits and he was one of my own. So, there will probably be no more rabbit musings or pictures where I photo shop hats onto him (Or the Guinea Pigs. Dante passed away a year before Carson and another cavie we got during the hiatus, Gus, died in February of 2013) or anything like that. Getting out of the animal business.

I'll end with what I put up on FB when Carson passed. I quoted Watership Down and then noted that "Truly a longer eared bastard will never hop on this Earth again."

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...