Tuesday, January 14, 2014

We'll call you

One thing that did not change during the hiatus was my perpetual hunt for a job. I am employed full time, but there is a muscle memory that makes me always check the job boards. Sunday morning means fishing out the wintergreen tinted sheets from the Plain Dealer classified ads to scan for gigs in the back of section after all the medical, manufacturing, and food service listings.

Yes, the grass is always greener on the other side so maybe there is a bit of wishful thinking when I compare my current job to others, but I don't feel normal unless I have a resume at the ready. If I don't have at least one application out (Even ones that fester from behind cold auto reply messages that say "We received your application) at a given time then I'm cagier than usual.

In college, when I began my perpetual job search, I loved writing cover letters. It was an excuse to brag! This was before I began these blogs (Which also seem endless) and when the Facebook wall was something new and weird and rare. I dread cover letters now. My second guessing ensures that I'll read them over and over only to send them along and then, upon a fifth read, find some error or clunky exposition. Here is a recent example...

"My experience is diverse and also includes a diverse population who have mentored and challenged me so I can better serve my employer’s mission."

Geez! Using "diverse" twice and then incorrect subject-verb agreement on this supposed population. Another on bites the dust.


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...