Tuesday, January 21, 2014

WYHAK-Sleep

Our son took to sleep like something out of a text book. One month old and sleeping for four hours at a time in his own bassinet and then crib! This parenting stuff is easy!

Seriously, what is it about all this sleep battling and fussiness? Cry it out versus no tears? Ferber versus Spock? Really? I mean you just put him in it and boom! Sleep time.

At four months, our son became an absolute sleep hating monster. He must have thought the bed was made of knives since ever the act of slowly dipping your hips to put him in the crib sent him into a screaming fit. Four hour stretches of sleep turned into thirty minute sleep sessions with two hours of rocking, singing, shushing, and kissing. The only thing that would console him, that would allow us to sleep would be to allow him to sleep in our bed.

So, when you have a kid, you will want to co-sleep.

Saying this I must caveat that I am 100% against co-sleeping. There. I drew a line in a "mommy wars" debate, but yeah, I don't want the soul shattering trauma of rolling over onto my kid. I still get chills if I think about an injured groundhog I drove by one time while commuting from work in the summer of 2013. Or get them so used to it that by the time they are truly vocal (i.e. also too big to be in your bed) they are screaming something like "Mommy mommy" or "You don't love me" from their crib in the middle of the night

But, it seemed to be the only thing that calmed him down. Once your patience has run dry and rocking softly becomes rocking until you feel you could just scream even louder than him it all makes sense. It's the perfect drug! Sleep! And not some cheating sleep where your wife is up and you are asleep, but actual holistic sleep.

Damnit, I could feel myself turning! It was so easy. "Honey, you sleep this way. And I will sleep on my side and then I put this pillow here and voila! No murder!"

If you do co-sleep normally then good luck and go nuts. You already agreed to my WYHAK statement. If you are like me then you will agree (Oh you will come to flirt with the dark side) since it makes it so much easier!

After a month of this we decided it was too much. We are still battling but it is going better. We realized that A) There is a difference between not liking the crib and not being able to fall asleep on one's own and B) That we needed backup.

I would never dare use my blog to shill thing (Except my scintillating comments!) but we bought him a Merlin's Magic Sleep Suit and it is manna from heaven!

Why can't I give this six stars!?
This shit really works. I mean really really really works. Like when man first discovered "really" works. If you have a baby then you need to buy it. BUY IT NOW! Not sure on the voodoo they use to make it work but I hypothesize that the tight bundling (Your kid will look like one of those inflatable sumo wrestler outfits all the rage in the 90s) make the kid feel extra secure. They also can't move their arms much in it so if they move in their sleep they are less likely to have a sudden jolt and startle themselves awake. BUY IT NOW

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...