Thursday, July 23, 2020

R in the ABC

Run The Jewels

Holy shit why didn't anyone tell me this group existed?! I only learned about them in the summer of 2020 when everything was going to shit and this came on the Sirius alternative station. 

There is not one single bad verse or rhyme. Pure blue cold fire. There are just two human beings in their 40s just producing scintillating energy. Their rhymes are like excellent movies. Something you can listen to and hear something new each time. A new scratch. A different inflection in the rhyme. It is the Into The Spiderverse of rap music. It cannot be in the background while you just mindlessly file papers or play Halo or NBA 2K.

My favorite is Walking in the Snow which I think perfectly condenses their engaging hooks and elaborate rhymes combined with collaboration and production values. If, like me, you discovered them in 2020 then it is the sound of moment. Also, how incredibly badass is the line "Just got done walking in the snow, goddamn that mother fucker cold"



Dear readers, you know I am going to try and jam this into a work email or something.

"Hey guys I just got done walking in the snow
Oh geeze this guy must be cold
Hey yo you in the wrong mode if you think
you can get paid with no PO
This whole world is set by masters far removed
So don't feel bad when you come back used"


Oh and that logo with the one fist making the gun and the other making the hand (supposeldy clenching a chain)? Yo, put that on the front of a shield because I will go to battle with that as my crest. 

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...