Thursday, November 14, 2019

Lucky Day

I found a whole pack of cigarettes in the parking lot at work. A whole pack of Mavericks just sitting there in the slush and next to a tire tread. Someone must be having a bad day. Or will have one soon when they reach for it and scream "Fuck. Where are my smokes?!"

"I should take up smoking, for maximum value, " I tell the receptionist at my job.

"Oh, no. Don't do that. Its so nasty"

"Smoking is the best thing on Earth," says another co-worker. "That is like 8 bucks right there. Or, whatever cigarettes go for. I have not smoked in a long time. But it is the best."

"Whose smokes are these!?" screams my wife using a tone of voice I think reserved for finding say a loaded gun. Or another woman's underpants on the counter.

"Oh, I found them at work. They are like brand new. Do you want them?"

"No, I prefer my own" and she whisks away for a smoke break.

I FB message a buddy. Not a friend which is a very powerful term for me. A buddy is someone you kind of hang with but you won't really talk or open up to. Someone you meet every week at the MTG draft and then warm up to. Or you happen to run into at the rec center. Before I can follow up to my "Hey" he types back "I was leaving the Get Go and found $70 on the ground!"

"Do you want these smokes I found?"

"Sure! Wow"

But then I have to go get him for a draft so I can give him the smokes since he cannot drive. "Its my eyes. Will you help me get Lasik?"

Can that be found on the street? A random laser? A card to an eye surgeon with so many punches for a free Lasik blast. Our luck is going to run out soon and we will not find treasures but stumble into potholes or sheets of black ice.


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...