Tuesday, November 05, 2019

A Smooth Transition and Something Scary, Gremlins

I re-read the last post and realized how cringe inducing it was. I thought that the inspirational essay was much better but a bit of the old confirmation bias because it was likely also bad. Or good in the, tried the hardest in this class which was an 8am Personal Essay class in the basement of the theater building kind of good. I wish I could make for a better transition but here are some words about Gremlins which I just saw and should have been something scary but I was too busy trying to keep it together earlier.



Two things about this movie

1) I was TERRIFIED of it as a child. I did not see Gremlins until I was maybe 14 years old. People take about triggered and seeing the plush stuffed Gizmo in a car window (which was a thing even in the God less country of PR) made we want to yell "Mami, drive faster!"

2) This movie is NOT a Christmas movie. It is a movie set during Christmas but could work any other time. And, yes, Phoebe Cates has that whole bit about her dad and being Santa Claus but its a gag convenient to the circumstances. They even make fun of the bit in the second movie!

Number 1 all considered and factored in...I do love this movie and how not scary it is while also being so damn funny.

Its all the little things. The blown on snow. All the Pelzer goof ball inventions. How the Pelzer mom annihilates a whole squad of the little guys. Its the coos and noises of the Mogwai. Its the camp and a bit of the violence too. A woman is thrown out the window on her stair lift! A guy drives around town on a tractor! "A Kentucky Harvester, Billy! Hasn't given me a single problem in 15 years!"

Luckily,  my children also love this movie but not as much as Ghostbusters which I admittedly don't get hyped for as much. Except for the "Are you a god?" joke. That is classic.

There is no good content, only Zuul!


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...