Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Mami Survived

My mother had a favorite saying, "You should be scared, when I am scared!" Meaning that don't panic. And, its a good saying. Ill allow it. I have used that with people I worked with our supervised. "Im not worried and I don't think you should be either!"

And this was very helpful when Mami was raising me as a single lady but she is now retired from problem solving* and mostly spends time drinking wine and fussing unfolded napkins at my sisters house.

My sister and I don't get along. Not that we dislike each other but we really have nothing in common and our lives have taken us in diamterically opposed pathways. We are the kind of people who, if we were neighbors, would wave at each other and maybe talk about local supports when we take out the trash. But, never hang out. But we are related and our orbits will be brought even closer when Mami eventually passes and we have to deal with that. Not that Mami is close to passing. I think she will live forever what with the endless pills and wine.

I mention this because my sister visited along with all my grown nieces and nephews my brother in law and my mother. And, it was fine. I talk about work a bit too much here but I won't get into the nitty gritty of my family affairs. They are boring and passive aggressive, which is an awful combination. But, at the end of this my oldest nephew (18) asked for a Cleveland Indians hat. Apparently this is a thing for youths. Collecting hats. He is visiting colleges and the prize is running to the bookstore to get swag from each college. Sports to me is very partisan so wearing gear of any other team feels pour some bleach on it and then burn it filthy. But, I am also a tired fat 35 year old with an 70 year old's spirit.

We take him to a local store that sells sports gear and I tell Mami that she can wait in the car if she wants. She agrees (Very hard to get in and out of the car, you see) but then insists the car should not be left running.

"I will be car jacked!"

Mind you this store is in the far west side suburbs of our Cleveland locale. The biggest crime is someone jay walking across Center Ridge Road or hollering "motherfucker" as they stumble out of the Buffalo Wild Wings.

I tell her she will be fine and she insists she will be "assaulted" and to turn it off. The look on her eyes is pure and sincere, something my mother could never be and for a moment I am touched. And I recall the "You should only be scared if I am" and I leave her in the car still running.

"Its fine, you will stay warm"

And, she made it.

*In her convoluted mami way.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...