Monday, January 13, 2020

Writing Prompt-A Noise

The writing prompt book took me to an ask that said to begin a bit with an onomatopoeia type noise. So "BANG" or "KAPOW!" But that seemed to pedantic so I wanted to start with this...



HOT AND DANGEROUS!

That is what I am going to name my chili eating team. Coney Island has hotdogs every Independence Day but in February downtown Ithaca is going to host the Chili Cook Off and that will be our name.

Save, I need to find a team of people. But, its Ok because it is just October right now so I still have time. James from work said he would do it. So, that's one. But he is not very hot. It's ok. I am confident enough in my feelings to say that. He and I took and overnight trip once to Cedar Rapids for a conference and we shared a room. He came out of the shower in black briefs with little else and it was nothing special.

But, is he dangerous? I think he owns a gun.

Not that we need to be true to the name but it would work so well. Much better than all the topical names people fling around. A lot of semi political ones last year. The I'm Peachys. Yet Our Stomachs Persisted. Make Chili Spicy Again. I was surprised because it was all puns before but now you tried to ham fist something newsworthy.

I want to take it back with a pun like HOT AND DANGEROUS!

When I write the word here on this entry form (They released them already even though, like I said, it is October) I can hear the words too. Not just how they pronounced but a sort of drum and energy. A lot of twirling. I heard it in a song once, I know it. But, can't remember the name. So much Top 40 is so same-y. Maybe they will play it over the DJ booth at the festival and I will shout out, "Holy shit, guys. That's it! That's us!"

Maybe someone from my team will now. I need to recruit people who are hot and dangerous and have a better understanding of Top 40 pop then I. That should not be too hard.

The rules say you need at least 4 people on your team. One person competes in the heat portion and the other in the volume portion. You need 4 because there is a veggie and non-veggie tier for each. Teams don't judge quality. There is a chili marshal for that.

These happen simultaneously so hence 4.

There is a barista at the Gimme! Coffee on Seneca that could fit the bill. I see her every day and she smiles at me and we exchange more than usual pleasantries. Her name is Summer ("An awful name to give a woman from Central New York, I know," she told me that first time she shared it) and she has dreadlocks with marble beads braided into the two longest ones. I think she is cute so that will do for the hot but the dangerous? She once told me about blasting the steam wand on the espresso machine for a bit too long and scalding the palm of her hand. Could that do?

Findings these folks is getting hard especially since they are acquaintances. The last time I went on a date it was because someone set it up and that friend even was CC'ed on the emails. And, yes, we used email. It did not go great.

I could ask my mom! But she is not hot. No way. And dangerous? We got past that. But she would say yes. I jot down "Mom---the nuclear option"

I mostly just know people from work. Some of them are already on teams. I don't talk much to the night cleaner, Ernesto. I am going to ask him especially since I have to work late on Thursday making the deposit before the Columbus Day holiday. He has a mustache which lends an air of mystery.

A thought! Getting someone who is vegetarian will improve our chances in the veggie categories! They will appreciate it more. Whoever does it needs to love beans. If you drive just a few minutes out of town and sit in the bar by the Pudgies pizza then the people there will say that dangerous angry vegetarians are lousy in town. I jot that down. I can look on the missed connections on the town Craigslist. I also jot down posting on the town Reddit page that I am looking for people for my chili cook off team.

They need to agree to the name HOT AND DANGEROUS (Which is always capitalized so we will need to always inflect when saying) and then prove to me they are hot and dangerous.

"Aren't we always dangerous?" I imagine a few saying. These would be the good ones. Those filled with mystique and power.

"Yes," I would say. "But what do you think about beans?"

The real win? That is getting someone who meets all my criteria AND is from the town of Chili, NY. Which is not pronounced chili like the food but with a chi that sounds like the tea. Then a longer last syllable.

CHAI-LIE, New York.

Its only 45 minutes away. Its a suburb of Rochester. There has to be someone here that meets the bill.
I then jot down, 'Take a day to go Chili? Ask boss?"












No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...