Thursday, January 23, 2020

The Metrics and an MTG Post

Whenever I post about MTG my page views dramatically jump. Now, mind you they jump to like 10 views but compared to 2 that is bananas. I would post more on MTG but I am 1)Not that good at MTG, 2) Don't have time/money to grind to be better, and 3) I swear my two regular readers are not into MTG* and don't want to subject them to that. Too much. I want to give a run down of how my Theros Beyond Death pre-releases went.

Paper Pre Release 1

This was two headed giant. A format I am not a huge fan of** but a buddy did want to partner up so lets go. He played a Blue/Black controlling pool with my showcase Thassa, Deep Dwelling ($$) and that Narcissist inspired guy. This guy...

I told maybe 6 people "The Narcissist guy, you know" and no one had a clue about the myth. Such a Sisyphean task!


It was A LOT of fun to make a dozen reflections or so.

I played Red/Green pool with my foil showcase Purphoros, Brozen Blooded (Which was like $100 at that point, then it shrank down to like $30 but whatever, Commander people will appreciate it...eventually) and tried to slam in while he stopped a bunch of threats. Variance killed us in the last round with me being stuck on two lands and the opponents milling me so I played zero Magic.

We went 2 and 2

It does look nice. And yes, its the "worst" god, but let me enjoy something!


Paper Pre Release 2

I got ANOTHER showcase Thassa, but nothing too crazy to flicker. And a foil promo Purphoros but no big red dummies to cheat in. I went blue white and lost first match again to variance (Never got a blue source but survived thanks to just drawing white cards for first 5 turns...then not so much) and then got CRUSHED in Round 2 by this card...

Uggggggghhhhhhh!



Dream Trawler is unfair. More on that later

In 3rd round I played against someone who bragged about getting a ridiculous pool during his deck building and I lost but I did get one game. He played a wonky Rakdos build with that Titan that drains you for 3 and the black shock to just grind away.

Now 0 and 3 I switched to green white because why not and did win my 4th over someone playing "satyr tribal with no other satyrs" (Ok...They have the lord lady but....ok?)

So 1 and 3.

Arena Sealed 1

Played 3 games, lost 3 games. Eliminated. I hate this fucking game so much.

Arena Sealed 2

Won 6 matches before being eliminated. Grindy blue/green enchantment deck that just durdle until Aspect of Hydra made some flying nerd HUGE. Or cast the flash 4/5 blue guy. I love this game so much!

Arena Sealed 3

I opened Dream Trawler and my girl Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis. I then splashed green for First Iroan Games and this was an easy 7 wins. Again, Dream Trawler is busted. It and Elspeth just ground people to dust. The only way to get it is wraths or edicts or some stupid self inflicted error like playing all your cards.

Arena Sealed 4

Got 4 wins which the deck really should not have. Black blue with (ANOTHER, albeit digital, Thassa) and Tymaret and a Gary. Did flicker Gary once with Thassa to drain a total of 8 life in the turn.

Is Mono Blue a thing because I have half a playset of this lady and I want to flex on people!

So, I played a lot albeit much of it is digital. I still want to do the Pre Release gauntlet and go to EVERY event my store offers in one weekend but I am $150 too poor and too rich in you know...spending time with family and what not.



* No proof for this. Just a vibe. You can always trust your gut on the Internet, yes?
** You play with a partner and the people who need one are always weirdos who aren't that great at the game. #selfown

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...