Saturday, April 04, 2020

Barenaked Ladies

I was up at 4am on slogging through chromebook serial numbers and had the CW's Supergirl on in the background. The CW's whole Arrowverse is something considering it began as just a single show about a Oliver Queen/Green Arrow that then begat about five other shoes and produced the sort of unified TV universe to mirror what Marvel does on the big screen. But, this isn't to talk about those shows it was just this one scene where Supergirl's adopted Earth sister can't hang out with Supergirl because her sister has a date. To go see a Barenaked Ladies concert. In the year of our lord 2016-ish.

This is not a throw away line. Arrow had an episode where Steve Aoki got name dropped a ton but HE WAS IN THE EPISODE! The couple never goes to the concert. The band never shows up. However it does show the couple (Alex and her police detective girlfriend. I am horrible with names on the show. Note I watch it in the background) in band shirts as they prepare to go to the concert. No offense to Barenaked Ladies. GOod for them for still playing shows and making people happy but the name drop and then the little payoff felt hapless and unbelievable. And note this is a show with aliens and alternate universes and a lady who can fly and is bullet proof.

That's it. I should sleep more.

*I will argue Arrow Season 1 into 3 is some solid TV action. Once he becomes the ersatz Batman for the TV universe I tapered off and checked in for big moments and crossovers. Hey, just like paper comic books.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...