Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Creeping Chill

Its a creeping chill in my office made colder by the emptiness of the space. At regular intervals there are phantom noises that should not be there. A gurgle of water from the outflow pipe. The bright whir of fans and compressors leading into the rattle of the stainless steel. The drop of panels in the ceiling as drip pans overflow. The whine of the copier running its final power cycle and going to sleep.
The noises don't scale into the terrifying. We don't have phantom footfalls or the slam of doors. Its a stillborn sense of cold in the hallways and elevator shafts. The bricks of the walls sweat as whatever warmth leaves their clay and winnows into the air. Time stops except when that sharp scream of the phone brings me back to reality.
"Hello. Yes, Im here. No, I can't be on any help but I will text them."
And I forward my messages along into the void while surrounded by the silence.

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...