Thursday, April 30, 2020

Some Fictional Swords


This was meant to be a Top Ten listicle type thing but then it ran out of gas. I realized that it was more certain poses or people with swords. So tweaked it a bit for some riveting content.

If you read this list and it sends you into a flight of fury then I am sorry. I had no clue there was a sword lobby. Thought that maybe it had died around World War 1. All that said, here are some cool swords I can elaborate on.

Crysknife from Dune

I once had an ex girlfriend try to read Dune and she read the first sentence and immediately put it back on the shelf. Its a sci-fi lovers science fiction that is a space opera with not a ton of fun. That doesn't mean they are bad, but you think you are going to get Star Wars and instead you get a dusty Hamlet except here they talk about the geopolitics of medieval Denmark. You like world building? Then Dune is your book. And, yes I am very excited for the new movie. And, yes, I know the 1984 one is awful. And, also yes, the varying sequels all have ups and downs and suffer from new Star Wars syndrome where everyone is connected.

But crysknifes are bad ass. Made from the tooth of a fallen sandworm, which is akin to a god. A knife made from god parts!! Infinetly sharp and "if it is drawn it must draw blood."  I do not dig the biological look to it. The yellowed body and hive like aspect of all the holes. Feels like a shit load of angry bees is going to come out of it.

Source: https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Crysknife

Brotherhood Sword from Final Fantasy X

I originated the fake rule that I have told to a handful of friends (Which means, of course, you live by it) that all boys must go through a pro-wrestling phase. A related one is that your favorite Final Fantasy is likely whichever one you played during your formative years. 13 to 16 years of age I would say. For me that was Final Fantasy X.

And before we get to the hardware....I am not getting into some argument about which one is the best. Because I have only played a few and that is one fandom I do not mess with. Like, when we go to the local game store sometimes there are guys playing Card Fight Vanguard and I am not fucking with that crew. They have cards with power levels in five figures. Same for any Sacramento King fans. Those are HARD people.

Source: SquareSoft

But Final Fantasy X was that one for me so here we go. I love this goofy thing which has a lovely name of Brotherhood and bestowing it on someone shows that fraternity. The fish hook tip at the end (which I would assume, in real life, is woefully impractical. It will literally hook onto things and ruin your flow), the bubbling blue water in the body, and the little handkerchief flourish at the end all give it some steampunk water world vibes. Which is how i would describe the first few hours of FInal Fantasy X.


The Diamond Sword From Minecraft

Maybe its because you have to build the Diamond Sword yourself? Or maybe its because there is nothing stronger than it in game. There is no secret super duper platinum sword. All you can do is enhance it with magic but at a base level there is nothing stronger. But there is something very strong and EARNED about getting this bad boy. Which is hilarious considering how it looks and the frantic cartoony nature of the game's combat but this thing feels incredibly powerful. When you have the diamond sword you have gotten somewhere in the game regardless of any achievement the game tells you. Full diamond gear? That is God mode.

Source: Mojang, Microsoft


Darth Maul's Lightsaber From Phantom Menace

Ok, hear me out. Unless you were there in 1999 it is very easy to dismiss the HYPE for The Phantom Menace especially twenty something years later after endless (and mostly well deserved derision). But, it was so cool. A new Star Wars. Who is that? What is going to happen. And why does that guy have a lightsaber WITH TWO BLADES!?!? That fight in the Naboo corridors was wonderful and the visuals make it. And that double edged lightsaber is part of that. Disclaimer: I know that the "old" Stat Wars is gone and the "new" Star Wars has new canon where Darth Maul survived and becomes this key villain in all these shows and books, etc. And, that is great. Go with that. He still has that awesome sword.

Source: Lucasfilm, Disney


Stay sharp, folks!


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...