Monday, April 20, 2020

Something Scary, The Lighthouse

Spend enough time in Twitter and you find digital gangs of the like-minded. If you ever spent time on a message board in the 90s or 2000s then its like that but only centralized through effort. 
There is NBA Twitter, which is undefeated.
There is Mil/NatSec Twitter, which is humanistic and self depreciating.
There is MTG Twitter, at odds with its varying factions like some nerdy Balkans.
There is film twitter which is where I get most of my movie recommendations.

So when I saw The Lighthouse on Amazob Prine I had to say, let's go! I liked The Witch and Hereditary.


I won't be poetic and get right to saying yeah this is a good movie. Well acted with an uncomfortable intimacy that romanticizes nothing about the situation. Neat movie to reflect on during these plague times when we have time to watch and write blogs. Amazing verisimilitude even to how it is shot in some wonky aspect ratio used by camera in the old Instagram  app icon. This is a film geek's movie. Which I am not (I just dabble in all meaning I'm a C+ in hobbies) but I can appreciate the touches.

Is it spooky? Eh not really save for a very unnerving scene with the sole female role in the movie. Its a spiraling sense of woe and anxiety which is nice when so many lingering shots on the buildings spiral staircase. A rare story open to interpretation but also quite clear in what happens. Innocuous things have a malignancy to them. A seagull. A mermaid figurine. The nightly toast.

Sometimes things are good beacuse they are just entertaining and fun. This film is good because its a good story albeit not sure you will find any sort of them/allegory. The statement is that they made it.

Oh and HARK! And, monkey punch!

No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...