Saturday, April 11, 2020

No Swimming--A Poem

Prayer flags flutter over the bladed
Edge of the bulldozers shovel
What yelling, picketing, bitching, and hollering Did not stop, history did 
Moved the red bud tree, gnarled trunk, further
a few more months into its ancient life
Social distancing stunting minds, blooming others.
Coyotes run down the hollow streets
Right down Euclid, Coming down Carnegie
They have always been here
Your teacher tells you over the phone
Picking at scraps, I'm between rust 
Thick with vines now. End of summer feels
In spring you can see the coast of Canada
On Lake Erie, if you squint, if you believe 
History cleared the horizon as it whips the flags on the beach. No swimming.




No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...