Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of the Decade

It snuck up on me that this is indeed the end of the 2010s. A lot of extra special year end lists as you can do "Year's Best X" and "Decade's Best X." Will be a lot of fun to read AV Club this time of year.
I have not kept that great a list of things in this decade but i will say best movie from it is Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse.

Beyond that my memory is not what it used to be so just go read the stuff online. I will say something personal about the decade.

It marked a sudden shift to regular employment and a life that many of my generation do not have. And it began as the decade began with the 2010 Haiti Earthquake. Because, at the time, I was, as I had spent much of the 00s, un/underemployed. And my wife urged me to do something with my days instead of sitting at home and watching PBS cartoons.

So I found a charity in town that collected surplus medical items and shipped them overseas. I can volunteer for you. Maybe do some copy writing, etc. I even dressed up for it after the 1.5 hour bus/train ride. And they said sure, you can volunteer.

Then a day later on 1/12/10 the earthquake hit and that organization was slammed with donations. THey hired some extra helpers on temporary gigs to help sort and pack containers and I was one. I then became a warehouse assistant, then volunteer coordinator, and varying director level positions over a five year period. It was a job with a salary and PTO. I got to buy a car and a house and have a kid. The fact this all happened on the back of 100K plus dead victims is not lost to me and the impostor syndrome kicks in where I should not have what I have.

This then morphed into another full time job working at a school that I still have and (even for all the ranting on this blog) enjoy.

And this isn't lost on me as it seems the decade also marks the fact that I am an iconoclast. A stable family with two incomes and benefits in this America? A middle class family? That really feels like impostor syndrome to me and likely climate change will rend it all asunder. It seems like a clock started this decade and when I look at my kids I want to get them as much experience as possible before it rings.


No comments:

Long Night of Solace

I think I'm going to put the blog formally on hiatus. I've reached a comfortable nadir in my life, edging between depression and spu...